To our readers: what can we do?

To our readers,

We at The Daily Cardinal are privileged to have a platform for sharing not only news, but speaking up and sharing beliefs that may otherwise go unheard.

Racism has no place at our newspaper, nor within our office. Silence will not benefit anyone, but ensuring that everyone is informed will. 

The recent protests in Madison demonstrated pent-up frustration with broken, white-dominated systems that have perpetually — and disgustingly — violated Black bodies, souls and freedoms. The presence of COVID-19 has only pushed the injustice further as more and more Black lives are taken daily.

As the sun rose in Madison Sunday morning, it became glaringly clear we can do better — as citizens, as a city, as a state and as a country. We who have the privilege to advocate for change need to do so right now. We cannot let acts of violence continue to be white noise.

So what can we do?

For folks who are white, like most of us at the Cardinal, this is not the time to be silent. Only words do not suffice. We must take action, becoming more educated on beliefs other than our own and learning about the history of oppression against people of color to prevent history from continuing to repeat itself. Attend protests, share resources for fellow white folks, learn about your privilege, sign petitions and donate — among so many others. The possibilities are endless, but what’s most important is standing up for the communities that do not receive the same access, rights and respect as yourself. 

For those of us who identify as non-Black people of color, it is our moral responsibility to support the Black community. For too long, underrepresented groups have been pitted against each other. We must recognize and undo the colorism and anti-blackness within our own communities, educate ourselves and read about the unique experiences of Black Americans. It is our duty to recognize our own complicity, as well as the privileges we have with our proximity to whiteness.

The world needs us all to listen actively and hear the voices of those who are victimized, especially so by law enforcement — today, tomorrow and every single day after that. 

The start of a new decade carried with it a lot of hope. Despite circumstances making it hard for us not to have a twisted world view, it is certainly not too late to break the cycle and renovate societal norms from the ground up.

Change begins with us, the people, and we at The Daily Cardinal endeavor to be there every step of the way.

The Daily Cardinal Editorial Board