News_KhariSanford5x3.jpg

UW-Madison police officers arrested 18-year-old Khari Sanford in the double-homicide of a UW-Madison doctor and her husband. 

Police arrest 18-year-old in UW Arboretum double-homicide

The UW-Madison Police Department announced Friday morning it had made an arrest in connection to a double-homicide at the UW Arboretum earlier in the week

Police Chief Kristen Roman said UWPD arrested 18-year-old Khari Sanford late Thursday night over a video message. Sanford has been booked on two counts of being party to the crime of first-degree intentional homicide and is currently in Dane County Jail.

Roman said Sanford was "known to the family” of the two victims — UW-Madison doctor Beth Potter and her husband Robin Carre — and reiterated the act was not random. 

“It was calculated, cold-blooded and senseless,” Roman said. “We will continue to do all we can to bring justice to Robin and Beth, their family and their loved ones.” 

A jogger found Potter and Carre lying in a ditch at the Arboretum Tuesday morning. Carre died on the scene while Potter passed away shortly after being transported to a hospital. 

Even with the arrest, Roman acknowledged law enforcement officials will continue to investigate. Individuals are still encouraged to provide any information related to the case. 

Amid fears of the COVID-19 virus and uneasiness surrounding the murders, Roman applauded other law enforcement agencies for assisting UWPD and reassured the public that more details about the case will be released once available. 

“We are in difficult times right now. Undoubtedly, this unspeakable crime adds to our community’s anxiety, sadness and feelings of uncertainty,” Roman said. “Our hearts are heavy and our thoughts are with all of those who grieve their loss.”