Katherine P. Frank Chancellor Search Presentation

The first female chancellor of UW-Stout, Katherine Frank, assumed her role on March 1 with a focus on diversity, sustainability and continuous student success. 

UW-Stout’s first female chancellor takes the reins to kick off Women’s History Month

The first female chancellor in the 129-year history of UW-Stout assumed her role Sunday — the first day of Women’s History Month.

UW-Stout Chancellor Katherine Frank was unanimously approved as the eighth chancellor of the university Nov. 26. Frank took over the position from Bob Meyer, the former chancellor of five years.

“Dr. Frank has demonstrated throughout her academic career that she is a strategic, dynamic leader,” said UW System President Ray Cross. “She handles challenges extremely well. Her visionary perspective on the future of UW-Stout will serve the institution and the state of Wisconsin very well.”

Before her appointment as chancellor, Frank served as provost and vice president of academic and student life and vice president of academic innovation at Central Washington University. 

In Frank’s first week on campus she has met with staff, faculty and students to acclimate herself to campus. 

“I already feel very much attached to this university,” she said.

UW-Stout’s current focus is a 10-year strategic plan where Frank looks to emphasize diversity, sustainability and resources that help students succeed.

According to Frank, the university will be focusing on diversity within the student body, as well as the in faculty and staff. 

“We’ll continue to think about how we can create the most welcoming campus we can,” Frank told the Dunn County News. 

For UW-Stout to find success in the future it needs to focus on sustainability, Frank said. While the university already has programs like Green-to-Go — which allows students to purchase reusable to-go containers that can be reused any time they visit a dining facility — Frank wants to expand these efforts to include sustainability in financing, investing and campus infrastructure. 

The new chancellor also aims to improve student success by providing more services and resources for the students. 

“We know we have a wonderful job placement rate post-graduation at 98.7 percent,” Frank said. “But how do we ensure along that pathway into and through this institution we’re doing the best job we can to support student success, along all points of their educational journey?”