News_Service.jpeg

UW-Madison students utilize volunteer opportunities as chance to enrich classroom experiences

When freshman Steph Bekas’ teacher swapped typical homework in her rehabilitation psychology and special education class for hands-on volunteer experience, she found the missing link she was looking for. 

It was in her volunteer work that Bekas was convinced to switch to a Communication Sciences and Disorders major, further proving the importance of integrating volunteer work into higher education. 

“Going into volunteering, I felt like I would enjoy it, but I didn’t think I would love it as much as I did,” Bekas said. “I had a great time connecting with the children on a one-on-one basis and it’s helped me fully decide what I want to major in.”

Students on the UW-Madison campus find volunteering in both a local and global capacity enriched their educational opportunities — and had a hand in forming their career paths. 

According to the Cooperation for National and Community Service, 35.4 percent of college students in Wisconsin volunteer in some capacity, ranking much higher than similar universities across the country.

With the Morgridge Center for Public Service and classes revolving around service-learning, community engagement is prioritized on the UW-Madison campus.

The Morgridge Center for Public Service connects UW-Madison students, staff and faculty to local and global communities to build partnerships and solve critical issues through service and learning, according to their website

Experience with community engagement pays off when it comes to looking for opportunities after college. A 2013 study done by the Corporation for National and Community Service of 70,535 working-age adults found that individuals who volunteer are 27 percent more likely find employment.

Bekas decided to major in Communication Sciences and Disorders after starting her community engagement at Gio’s Garden, a respite care facility for children with special needs. 

“There are so many volunteer opportunities around campus,” Bekas said. “It’s a great way to gain new experiences. Especially if you’re undecided, volunteering can help you find what you’re passionate about.”

Freshman Erika Spivack spent her whole life volunteering with children, and the research labs at the School of Human Ecology gave her the chance to continue her passion on a larger scale. Spivack volunteers weekly through the child development lab and works to help 3-5 year-olds develop various skill sets. 

Spivack emphasized the plethora of opportunities that a large college campus gives when it comes to volunteering, citing the weekly emails SoHE sends out as just one of the ways the school makes it easy to get involved. 

“It provides me with a sense of purpose,” Spivack said. “I have always loved giving back to my community and when I moved to Madison I was eager to create ties aside from my academic career. It’s something I look forward to every week.”

Gina Musso

Gina Musso is a Senior Staff Writer at The Daily Cardinal. She previously served as College News Editor and Features Editor, focusing coverage around student government, campus COVID updates and in-depth reporting. Follow her on Twitter @gina__musso.