News_UWEauClaire.jpg

In a press conference Wednesday, UW-Eau Claire released their recommendations to eliminate racism, hate and bias on campus.

UW-Eau Claire task force creates recommendations to end racism on campus

A UW-Eau Claire task force announced nine recommendations at a press conference Wednesday to combat racism on campus in wake of multiple hateful incidents.

“We aspire to be an inclusive, supportive and antiracist university, and the new report will assure that we can take immediate and effective steps to move closer to that goal,” Chancellor James Schmitt said.

The report released by the task force — comprised of students, faculty and staff — emphasized steps are planned to be in place by May 2020. 

Technical recommendations included developing a Restorative Justice Program and improving bias incident reporting. Additionally, the report mentioned plans to implement more training opportunities for its student body and staff through the school’s division for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, bolstering recruitment and retention efforts of diverse international and domestic students and staff and updating the school’s code of conduct along with online EDI resources. 

The task force also recommended measures to improve campus environment, like developing better crisis communication, providing more support for victims of discrimination and fostering campus and community dialogue to address issues related to racism and hate bias.

Two major incidents from the previous semester played a prominent role in calling for new recommendations.

In September 2019, racist messages were posted on a dormitory door. Later in November, five football players were suspended from the university on the grounds of racism targeting black students.

Jan Larson, the co-chair of the task force, noted that “racism, hate and bias can never be fully eliminated,” but that doesn’t deter the school’s effort to be free of them.

“The recommendations can help us better articulate our values and expectations as a campus community.” Larson said. “They can help us hold accountable the people who engage in such behavior while providing opportunities for change, growth and healing. And, they can help us further develop a climate and culture that thrives because of its equitable, diverse and inclusive nature.”

Annabella Rosciglione

Features editor