State News

Robin Vos expects court battle against Evers for 2021 legislative maps

Vos, who spoke out last week against Gov. Tony Evers’ commission to draw nonpartisan legislative maps, is confident Republican-drawn maps will still be chosen.

Image By: Emily Buck

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said he believes new legislative maps for 2021 will probably end in a court battle under divided state government.

Last week, Gov. Tony Evers signed an executive order to create the People’s Maps Commission designed to draw a set of maps “free from partisan bias” to be sent to the Wisconsin State Legislature to vote on. 

Vos and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, opposed Evers’ plan last week, with Vos calling the plan “phony” and Fitzgerald saying the maps would be “unconstitutional.”

Vos later softened his tone, saying "anyone has the right to draw their own maps" in an interview on “UPFRONT,” but is confident the Legislature’s maps will win out.

Since Evers has veto power against Republican-drawn maps, the decision will likely go to State courts to decide on the issue — and the Speaker is not too concerned with that outcome.

"Usually [courts have] chosen the Republican map because we just do a better job," Vos said.