News_Foxconn.jpg

Despite setbacks and political controversy since the 2017 announcement of a new plant in Mount Pleasant, Foxconn maintained they will create their initial estimate of 13,000 new jobs. 

Evers administration ready to renegotiate deal with Foxconn, ‘rooting’ for success

The CEO of the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation said the Evers administration is rooting for Foxconn’s success but is still hoping to renegotiate the contract it has with the state.

Melissa Hughes, who took over as CEO of WEDC in 2019, said in an interview with CBS 58 that the administration is ready to work to renegotiate the state’s deal with the Taiwanese company despite the timeline being “up in the air.”

“We stand ready to work with them when they’re ready to do that,” Hughes said. 

In 2017, Foxconn announced its plans to build a manufacturing plant in Mount Pleasant, creating 13,000 jobs in the process.

However, the project has since faced various setbacks and political controversy from up to $4-billion agreements of incentive payments encouraged by former Gov. Scott Walker and President Donald Trump. 

Foxconn maintained it will create 13,000 jobs despite not meeting job creation benchmarks for tax credits in 2018 — it is uncertain if they’ll reach them for 2019 as well. 

Hughes said Foxconn has been open with the state about the changes and shifts to their plans. She said she is hoping to work with the company to ensure the state and Foxconn are “aligned and working together” on the project and contract.