News_CanopyNightclub.png

Canopy Nightclub receives pushback from Marquette Neighborhood Association

Austin Carl, the founder of Canopy, continues to have problems getting his proposed establishment up and running at 924 Williamson Street, the former site of Plan B and Prism nightclubs.

On Feb. 19, Carl attended the Marquette Neighborhood Association’s Preservation and Development Committee in an effort to gain the association’s support. 

Instead, he made his case significantly worse.

Carl pushed for Canopy Nightclub to open Feb. 18 as a full-time bar from 10 a.m to 6 p.m. Monday through Wednesday with different hours the rest of the week. However, Carl did not bring enough documentation detailing changes to his business plan to prove to neighborhood association Canopy would be something other than the nightclub he originally branded it as.

“There seems to be a base misunderstanding because when Austin says he is willing to consider some things that the community wants such as limits on hours or live bands or outdoor seating, that willingness has to be reflected in his writing on official forms,” Committee President Jack Kear said. “There is no future date to add those ideas in. These are the meetings when you present your final plans.”

Numerous questions were raised during the committee meeting, including concerns regarding noise and loud music.

Carl said complaints regarding noise should be forwarded to his general managers who may be open to phone calls. He also stated he will list Ald. Rummel’s phone number on the front of the building.

“I put Mrs. Rummel’s phone number on there, Ald. Rummel. I will be posting those phone numbers on the window so people can, if they have any complaints, I found it important that they can contact her,” Carl said. 

Ald. Rummel, who was in attendance, had no knowledge of Carl’s plan to post her information. 

It was motioned the Marquette Neighborhood Association support the Canopy application be tabled for one month. 

Addison Lathers

Addison Lathers is the Editor in Chief of The Daily Cardinal. She has covered city and campus news and held two editor positions. Follow her on Twitter at @addisonlathers.