Campus_UniversitySexualAssault.jpg

The university refuses to release any more information due to privacy regulations.

Graduate students demand accountability regarding retired professor’s sexual harassment case

UW-Madison graduate students urged the university to hold Dr. Don Waller, a retired Botany professor, publicly accountable after an investigation found he engaged in sexual harassment.

The Title IX investigation found Waller guilty of all accusations, according to the university. Waller later appealed the accusations, but the university’s decision was firm.  

Waller retired from the university in June 2019 — before the investigation was completed — leading to minimal disciplinary action from the institution.

The university denied the professor’s request for “emeritus” status, the title of a successful retired professor. Additionally, his office space was removed.

The university released minimal information regarding the case, claiming the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act restricted the release of details regarding the handling of the investigation. 

The lack of public accountability from the university has raised concerns among students, leading to a demand for more information from the student body.

An article published in the Wisconsin State Journal highlights Dr. Waller’s response, including him calling the university’s investigation “flawed” and conducted in a way that denied him his due process rights. 

Provost Karl Scholz stated that Dr. Waller’s comments to the media were misleading. 

“This situation was very troubling to me and many others; we want our department to be a place where everyone feels safe, supported and respected,” Botany Chair Ken Cameron said. “We all agree that we must not tolerate harassment of any kind and our department has taken action in response.”

In reply to student’s concerns, Dean Wilcots, interim dean of the College of Letters and Sciences, mentioned the establishment of “a new committee to address broader issues of diversity, equity, climate and inclusivity.” Workshops are also being put in place to prevent “hostile and intimidating” behavior.