News_BadgerRockMiddleSchool.jpeg

The Badger Rock Middle School received a five-year renewal of its charter after a lively school board meeting. 

Badger Rock Middle School receives new charter following spirited meeting

The Madison School Board renewed the Badger Rock Middle School’s charter Monday despite concerns related to the school’s specific enrollment and academic progress requirements. 

Amid a flurry of applause after the board voted to grant the middle school a five-year charter — the maximum amount allowed under district policy — Principle Hong Tram could be heard exclaiming an audible “yes!” More than a dozen staff, parents and students spoke during the meeting in favor of the school. 

“We have an opportunity right now to invest in Badger Rock in a way that allows it to be successful in the long term,” said board member Ali Muldrow.

However, Interim Madison Metropolitan School District Superintendent Jane Belmore noted the financial burdens of keeping Badger Rock open and questioned the academic development of the student body. 

Belmore recommended a two-year extension to the school’s charter with a third-year option pending Badger Rock’s ability to fulfill its obligations. 

Badger Rock fell short of its 120-student enrollment target and district data showed that “students, overall, had consistently lower rates of proficiency in both math and reading than district overall rates.” 

The school district would also save over $500,000 in the 2020-’21 school year if Badger Rock closed, with projected increases over the next five years, according to Belmore.

“As a district we are committed to being good stewards of our taxpayers’ funding, as well as trying innovative approaches that may be of significant benefit to our students,” Belmore said in a memo. “The data presented here shows that, at best, our students at BRMS are seeing similar levels of success as our students in traditional middle schools.” 

Faculty and students came to the defense of Badger Rock during the public comment segment of the meeting. 

“I know what we are doing is working because students keep coming back after they graduate,” said farm manager and garden educator Sarah Karlson. “We need five years to continue building and deepening the work we do.” 

Badger Rock opened in 2011, and has had the highest rates of black, multiracial, low-income and special education students among Madison middle schools for the past three years, according to district data.

Maintaining the school would advance the district’s goal of Black Excellence, according to counselor Jamie Ames. 

“If the board does not vote for a full five-year renewal of Badger Rock’s charter, it will be further evidence that the district’s cry for Black Excellence is nothing but lip service,” Ames said.

Despite the controversy between the school district and Badger Rock, students appear to have reaped the benefits. 

“Badger rock is special to me,” said sixth-grader Henry Forehand. “If Badger Rock keeps their charter I think that Mr. Tran could do many other great things as principal.”

Following deliberations, the school board approved the new charter in a 4-to-2 vote.