news_coolestthinginwisconsin.jpeg

The fourth annual “Made in Wisconsin” competition is a platform to showcase

hundreds of products from across the state, ranking which are the “coolest.”

Manufacturing Madness: Wisconsin’s Coolest Products

The “Made In Wisconsin” competition is an opportunity to highlight the state’s manufacturing industry — which employs approximately one in five Wisconsinites. With over 150 products nominated and nearly 145,000 votes cast, the competition works to bring together communities from every corner of the state.  

For the fourth year in a row, Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce posed the question: What’s the coolest thing made in Wisconsin? As of Monday, voters narrowed down the list to the top four companies nominated for first place. 

The Big Boy All Weather Rifle: Henry Repeating Arms, Rice Lake

The history of Henry Rifle dates back to the Civil War when Benjamin Tyler Henry patented the first lever action repeating rifle. Within two years, the rifles were put to use on the battlefield in the hands of Union soldiers. The gun would go on to have a substantial influence in the early days of exploring the American West Frontier. 

In 1996, Louis Imperato and his son, Anthony, started Henry Repeating Arms in Brooklyn, New York. The company expanded its manufacturing operations in 2014 with its purchase of another facility in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. Henry Repeating Arms is the leading lever action manufacturer and one of the top five gun manufacturers in the U.S. 

“If you are going to spend your hard earned money on a Henry, you can expect to receive quality, reliability, award-winning customer service and my personal lifetime guarantee,” current company owner and president Anthony Imperato said.

400 Defender Clay Target Machine: Mayville Engineering Company, Mayville

Founded in 1945, Mayville Engineering Company has been a leading U.S.-based contract manufacturer since its inception. MEC is ranked number one on the FAB 40 list of the country’s largest fabricators for nine consecutive years. The company creates products for industries ranging from commercial vehicles to agriculture to construction and forestry. 

The company described the 400 Defender as “inspired from the use of American man steel components and the American workforce,” as it was unveiled at the 2019 SHOT show in Las Vegas. 

“We have a passion for the shooting sports markets that we serve. You share our passion and we count many of you as close friends as well as loyal customers. Thank you for your support and friendship,” Robert D. Kamphuis, MEC’s President and CEO, said.

450R Outdoor Motor: Mercury Racing, Fond du Lac

Mercury Racing was established in 1973, when it was initially known as Mercury Performance Products. At that time, the division’s main purpose was product development and promotion of the brand’s image through racing. The company has since expanded to propellers and sterndrives, along with other parts and accessories.

The 450R motor was launched at a three-day event in Nashville earlier this year. The product has been called the “fastest, most powerful” outboard to be offered by Mercury Racing. The company prides its product on its technology, efficiency and customization. 

“We have a tremendous history of innovation and that’s what this represents. Our latest step in keeping ourselves way ahead of the competition,” CEO Dave Foulkes said

Custom Speciality Vehicles: LDV., INC, Burlington

LDV has operated for over 40 years, offering highly specialized vehicles with the longest life in the market. LDV produced over 30,000 vehicles that have been utilized by agencies ranging from emergency responders to librarians. 

LDV put an emphasis on collaborating with new systems in recent years to integrate more useful instruments and features into their automobiles. Specifically their Intel-I-Touch technology allows them to combine all individual controls into a single communication network. 

“It’s amazing what these vehicles are called upon to do. I couldn’t be more proud of who we are, what we do, and what our customers say about us,” Chairman David Lynch said

Final round voting is open from Oct. 1 to 8. You can find more information and cast votes at MadeInWis.com. The first place winner will be announced on Oct. 8 at the Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce Business and Industry luncheon in Milwaukee. 

Kylie Ver Kuilen

state news