news_Foxconn.jpg

Despite delays and controversy, Foxconn founder Terry Gou is hopeful the Mount Pleasant can reach its valuation as well as start production this year.

Foxconn to hire students as full-time employees, paid time off for school

Foxconn Technology Group plans to hire Wisconsin college students as full-time employees with paid time off to continue their education, the company announced Friday. 

The initiative, called the Foxconn Earn and Learn Program, currently focuses on three institutions — UW-Parkside, Gateway Technical College and Chippewa Valley Technical College — yet, others may participate in the future, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 

FELP will allow students to work for Foxconn for up to six months full-time and could become a stepping stone for a larger career with the company, Kenosha News reported. Foxconn will also provide students with paid time off to work on their degrees — allowing them to “earn and learn.”

Participating students may work at Mount Pleasant — where Foxconn is building an electronic display factory — and other company locations in Racine, Eau Claire, Green Bay, Madison and Milwaukee, the Journal Sentinel reported. 

Foxconn did not say when the program will begin.

UW-Parkside Chancellor Deborah Ford is enthusiastic about the opportunity for students to gain work experience while completing their education.

“This Foxconn Earn and Learn Program has the potential to broaden the talent pool throughout Wisconsin,” Ford said in a statement. “It’s a valuable opportunity to learn in and out of the classroom, observe and immerse in a company culture, and receive financial support to achieve the goal of a university degree.”