news_Evers.JPG

Kaul advocates for two major changes in gun control legislation, speaking about red flag and ERPO provisions to increase safety, provisions also backed by Evers. 

Evers and Kaul continue pushing to alter gun control legislation

“I’m convinced at the end of the day we will have a special session and we’ll be making that announcement within a week, maybe two weeks,” Gov. Tony Evers said when asked when he expects the state Legislature to address gun control on WTMJ Tuesday.

Although Evers did not elaborate about what the conversation on gun control would consist of, Attorney General Josh Kaul also spoke on the issue of gun control Monday and Tuesday. Kaul openly supports two legislature changes to gun control, which he believes will make a difference when it comes to school lockdowns, suicide and general gun violence.

“There are two measures that I support, that Governor Evers supports, that I think can make a difference and help save lives while completely respecting Second Amendment rights,” Kaul said. “That would be expanding background checks and a red flag law.”

With expanded background checks, there would no longer be a loophole allowing private gun sales without a background check. As for the red flag laws, a household member or a law enforcement officer who saw warning signs in a person who owns a gun would be allowed to petition a judge to suspend their gun ownership for a period of time.

These changes are reflected in recent legislation called the Extreme Risk and Protection Order introduced last week by Rep. Melissa Sargent, D-Madison, and Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee. 

“These laws are focused on limiting access to firearms for people who are dangerous to themselves or others. And hopefully we can help save lives,” Kaul said.

Although Evers declared there will be a special session on gun control in the next couple of weeks, Kaul believed the session will likely be ineffective as, “Republicans have been unwilling even to hold a hearing discussing these measures.”

Kaul also spoke on laws that would mandate the government to buy back guns, reducing the number of guns in the state. Kaul made it clear that neither he nor Evers proposed those laws or expect them to be implemented in Wisconsin any time soon.

Kaul wants the focus of the gun control conversation to remain on expanded background checks and red flag laws. He says, “We’re going to continue advocating for them and hopefully make some progress.”

Emma Grenzebach

state news writer