news_overture.jpg

Seven awards for philanthropic efforts will be given to local organizations.

UW Pre-Veterinary Association honored for youth philanthropic efforts

The Association of Fundraising Professionals Greater Madison will honor the 2019 National Philanthropy Day Award winners this November, including the UW Pre-Veterinary Association. 

AFP Greater Madison works to foster ethical and effective fundraising practices in south central Wisconsin. The AFP leadership awards will aim to recognize excellence in the philanthropic core value, according to President of AFP Greater Madison Janie Winston.

“It is important to recognize those who make such a meaningful difference in our community,” Winston said. “Philanthropy is the backbone of our organization and National Philanthropy Day is a great way for us to showcase this.” 

The UW Pre-Veterinary Association, nominated by the Dane County Humane Society, will be receiving the “Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy” award. 

“It was a surprise,” Pre-Veterinary Association President Emily Becker said. “The nomination was not something that was expected. It was really unique and special and it makes things worthwhile. Not that it wouldn’t have been worthwhile without the nomination, but it does make it special.” 

Becker noted possible reasons for when and why her group may have been included as an award-winner.

“We found out about a month ago. We had put on a 5k walk for the community and some of the proceeds go to the Dane County Humane Society. This year we raised $3,000. It’s been our biggest fundraising event,” Becker said.

The UW Pre-Veterinary Association, as well as other 2019 National Philanthropy Day Award winners will be recognized on Friday, Nov. 8 at the Overture Center for the Arts. More information can be found about the event and award winners here

Addison Lathers

Addison Lathers is the Editor in Chief of The Daily Cardinal. She has covered city and campus news and held two editor positions. Follow her on Twitter at @addisonlathers.