news_StateOfEducation.jpg

Students and educators gathered to hear from first-time State Superintendent Carolyn Stanford Taylor in the Capitol building.

Stanford Taylor emphasizes equity in her inaugural State of Education address

Wisconsin State Superintendent Carolyn Stanford Taylor told hundreds of people gathered in the Capitol’s rotunda Thursday she is “more energized than ever to make a difference,” during her first State of Education address.

After taking office in January she has put the fight for equity among all students, including college and career readiness of each student in Wisconsin, at the core of her agenda. 

“We need to tackle our achievement, access, and opportunity gap as the crisis it is,” Stanford Taylor said. “Too many of our students of color, English learners, students with disabilities, and students from low income families struggle to achieve their dreams and reach their full potential.” 

Stanford Taylor said Wisconsin has yet to fully reconcile the deep, persistent gaps in achievement, an issue that is central to her life and background.

The importance of education was instilled in Stanford Taylor at a young age. Her parents fought for her and her siblings to be among the first students to integrate the all-white public schools in their district. 

Stanford Taylor said the Department of Public Instruction designated an equity portion in their budget request as part of their plan to address the achievement gap, and the additional funds will lead to more resources in underperforming rural and urban schools. 

Embracing educators and encouraging recruitment is a priority for Stanford Taylor during a time of declining numbers of aspiring teachers in Wisconsin. These efforts include recruiting more educators of color. 

“I was the only person of color in my building for at least 8 years,” Stanford Taylor said. “I know the difference it makes for those students to be able to relate to someone who looks like them, or to feel welcomed in their environment.”

Stanford Taylor said another key aspect in showing appreciation for Wisconsin’s educators is visiting schools and interacting with students and teachers. She said interactions like these are what “energizes her soul.” 

news_EducationSpeech.JPG

Teachers were honored Thursday in Madison with the presentation of Wisconsin’s 2019 Friends of Education and 2019-2020 Teachers of the Year awards. The awards were presented by the State Superintendent and Assistant State Superintendent Sheila Briggs at the address.

The 2019 Friends of Education awards were presented to Discovery World, GSAFE, Lena Lions Club, News 3 Now and The Teacher’s Closet for their work on behalf of Wisconsin students. 

A statewide committee made up of educators, parents and community members select the Teachers of the Year; each award recipient will receive $3,000 from the Herb Kohl Educational Foundation. 

The elementary school teacher of the year was awarded to Chelsea Miller, an art teacher at Sullivan and West Elementary Schools in the Jefferson district. She is the advisor for multiple student organizations, and is known to students as the “queen of clubs.” 

Ashland Middle and Lake Superior Elementary School teacher Bawaajigekwe Andrea Boulley received the Special Services Educator of the Year award for her work in the Ashland school district. She is a member of the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Tribe of Chippewa Indians and is pursuing a doctorate in First Nations education at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.

The High School Teacher of the Year award was presented to Chad Sperzel-Wuchterl of Reagan High School for his work with art students in Milwaukee Public Schools. He was recognized for his work helping students display their art in the greater community. 

Rounding out the afternoon was the Middle/Junior High School Teacher of the Year recipient Erin McCarthy, a social studies teacher at Greendale Middle School in Greendale School District. McCarthy will also represent Wisconsin in the National Teacher of the Year program and receive an additional $6,000 from the Herb Kohl Educational Foundation.