state_RonJohnson_ceo.jpg

Sen. Ron Johnson, R-WI, and Sen. Chris Murphy, D-CT, were denied access by the Russian government ahead of a planned congressional trip to discuss foreign affairs and American business. 

Prior to visit, Russia blocked visas to two members of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee

Two U.S. senators were barred from visiting Russia preceding a bipartisan congressional trip amidst growing tensions between the foreign players. Both senators are members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and were accused of supporting anti-Russian legislation by Russian officials. 

Ron Johnson, R-WI, and Chris Murphy, D-CT, were scheduled to meet with Russian diplomats and American businesses that operate within the country throughout the duration of this week’s trip. Despite having their visas denied by the Russian government, Johnson and Murphy will still participate in affairs in other countries, including Kosovo, Serbia and Ukraine.

Johnson and Murphy have been forthright with their condemnation of the Russian annexation of Crimea and its interference in the 2016 presidential election. 

Murphy supported measures proposed within the Senate that would institute harsh sanctions on Moscow due to its manipulation of the election, and Johnson does not believe there should be as much focus on the interference as there currently is.

“I’ve been pretty upfront that the election interference –– as serious as that was, and unacceptable –– is not the greatest threat to our democracy. We’ve blown it way out of proportion,” Johnson said in a quote by the Washington Examiner after his previous trip to Moscow in 2018.

Regardless, Russian officials released a statement giving an explanation on their decision, claiming that the Wisconsin senator never applied for a visa. 

“Sen. Ron Johnson’s groundless accusations against Russia leave no doubts he is ready not for a dialogue but a confrontation,” the Russian Embassy tweeted. “In his usual Russophobic manner he distorts Russian foreign policy and allows himself rude remarks.” 

Murphy believes the Russian government choose to reject his visa due to his history of being a “strong critic,” and told MSNBC that he was “not surprised but disappointed” that Russian officials did not want to continue diplomatic conversations. 

Johnson believes that his entrance denial was nothing more than a diplomatic game, and claims his interest in creating foregin conversations is sincere. 

“Regardless of this petty affront, I will continue to advocate a strong and resolute response to Russian aggression — and frank dialogue when possible,” Johnson stated in a press release.

This back-and-forth regarding the denial of visas appeared during a time of tension between the two countries, all while President Donald Trump has been advocating for the readmittance of Russia into the G7 nations. 

However, a group of Senate Democrats led by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-NY, wrote an open letter to Trump insisting that Russia is not admitted into the G7 group. 

The senators stated, “President Putin –– under no circumstances –– should be readmitted to the G7 until the Russian government undertakes demonstrable actions to show its willingness to be a responsible actor on the world stage.” 

The G7 is an organization of the world’s seven largest economies: France, the United States, Japan, Canada, Italy, the United Kingdom and Germany. The Obama administration led the ejection of Russia from the G8 in 2014 because of its annexation of Crimea. 

Kylie Ver Kuilen

state news