College 101: What Are the 3 Types of Commercial Concrete Foundations?

Due to higher amounts of pressure, commercial building foundations typically experience more wear and tear than residential foundations. Establishing a strong anchor system can counteract the pressure placed on commercial foundations by helping to distribute the weight more evenly.

Since commercial buildings are large pieces of construction that rely on a single foundation, the foundation must be properly anchored and reinforced. Concrete is a relatively inexpensive material often used in commercial building foundations. Its strength, resilience, and ease of use make it ideal for withstanding higher degrees of force and heavier weights. The following types of concrete are most often used in commercial building foundations.

T-shaped concrete foundation

T-shaped concrete foundation is most commonly used in commercial building foundations. This type of commercial concrete can help support taller buildings, especially in areas where the ground is susceptible to freezing. When the ground freezes, a higher amount of pressure is exerted on the commercial building foundation. However, T-shaped concrete foundation has the ability to resist damage from frozen grounds. 

This traditional foundation method requires placing a footing below the frost line. Next, the walls are added on top of the footing. Since the footing is wider than the wall, it can provide additional support at the base of the foundation. After the T-shaped foundation is placed and cured, the walls are constructed and the slab is added between each wall.

Builders in areas susceptible to freezing should also consider investing in composition roofing. Composition shingles mimic the look of asphalt shingles, but boast a significantly longer lifespan. In addition to their affordability and durability, composition shingles provide protection against UV rays, reduce energy costs, provide a level of fire resistance, and prevent the growth of mold.

Slab-on-grade foundation

Unlike T-shaped concrete foundation, slab-on-grade foundation is used in areas where the ground is not susceptible to freezing. Slab-on-grade foundation consists of a single layer of concrete that is several inches thick and is poured all at one time.

Slab concrete is poured thicker at the edges of the base to create an integral footing, and reinforcing rods are placed at each thickened edge to add more strength. Slab concrete typically rests on a bed of crushed gravel, which improves the overall drainage of the foundation. 

In order to minimize the risk of cracking, a wire mesh is cast over the slab. Although slab-on-grade foundations are most commonly used in areas where the ground doesn’t freeze, it can also be used in combination with insulation to prevent negative effects from ground freezing.

If you’re interested in commercial building but aren’t sure where to start, steel building kits are cost-effective way to jumpstart your construction project. Steel buildings often use floating slabs, footing and grade beams, or drilled pliers to build a durable commercial foundation. If you want a long-lasting steel building for commercial purposes, enlist the help of professionals to help you make the right choice for the building’s foundation.

Frost-protected concrete foundation

Frost-protected concrete foundation can only be used when the structure is heated. This type of concrete foundation uses two sheets of rigid polystyrene insulation to prevent freezing, making it more preferable than slab-on-grade foundation in areas susceptible to frost. One sheet of insulation is placed outside the foundation wall, while the other rests on a bed of gravel at the base.

Insulation sheets hold heat from the structure in the ground in order to prevent the edge of the slab from losing heat. The heat maintains a steady ground temperature around the footings so they don’t freeze.

Frost-protected concrete foundation is often preferable to T-shaped foundation. While frost-protected foundations only requires one concrete pouring, three separate pours are required for T-shaped foundations.

Since commercial buildings are massive pieces of construction, strong and durable commercial concrete is required to create a strong, long-lasting foundation. Ultimately, it’s imperative for builders to consider the cost and durability of materials before beginning a construction project.