Tuesday, March 19, 2024
news_lakeflooding.jpeg

Strong rain is expected to continue on Sunday.

City crews monitor flash flooding potential after heavy rainfall

City Engineering crews are on standby after heavy rainfall Sunday morning. 

Water gathered on the streets in the lower areas of the isthmus, causing a short street closure on E. Johnson St. at N. First St., according to a statement released by the city. The storm sewers in that region are less efficient because of high lake levels.

Strong rain is expected to continue on Sunday. Flooding on streets is possible if that’s to occur, said the city — especially in low lying areas that drain to Yahara River or Lake Monona.

The city has been vigilant about flood monitoring since the historic flooding of the Yahara River chain of lakes in summer 2018. In February, a Dane County workgroup yielded options for preventing future flooding of the same scale.

The city cautioned residents and visitors to remain alert while driving and should report significant flooding to City Engineering Operations.

If flooding occurs, citizens should not drive through flooded streets and instead find higher ground. Street flooding will typically recede quickly after intense rains have stopped.   

“It is not worth risking your life or damaging your car,” the city said. “It is the City’s priority to keep residents safe and keep the community connected with updates as crews continue to monitor the potential for flooding.”