uwmilwaukee_news.jpg

UW-Milwaukee professor appeared in court for multiple sexual charges Sunday. 

UW-Milwaukee professor charged with three counts of sexual assault

A UW-Milwaukee College of Health Sciences professor made his first court appearance Sunday after being charged with three counts of sexual assault Saturday. 

Anthony Azenabor was charged with two counts of second-degree sexual assault, use of force and one count of fourth-degree sexual assault in offenses that occurred in March, April and May of 2018, as stated in circuit court records. 

"The charges against Prof. Azenabor are very serious," a statement the university released Sunday read. "UWM police have been working closely with the district attorney’s office on the criminal investigation. The university administration is evaluating his continued employment.”

anthony-azenabor-news.jpeg

During his court appearance, the court ordered Azenabor to be turned over to JusticePoint, a Milwaukee nonprofit social justice organization, for supervision.

He is unable to have contact with the two accusers, as well as the UW-Milwaukee campus or faculty.  

Azenabor, who is an expert in infectious diseases and immunity, is not assigned to teach any classes and does not have contact with any students, according to the statement. 

"UWM is committed to maintaining a safe environment for all of our students, and we always encourage students who believe they have been victimized to come forward and speak to police,” the statement read. “Their courage allows us to take action."

Azenabor’s preliminary hearing is set for March 13.