Associated Students of Madison host distinguished campus organizations to talk about diversity on campus. 

‘New People New Voices’ interactive Seminar fosters discussion on identity

Associated Students of Madison hosted a program called “New People New Voices,” to allow an interactive forum to discuss identity on Tuesday Evening. 

The Center For Religion and Global Citizenry, Gender and Sexuality Campus Center, and Promoting Awareness Victim Empowerment organizations came to lead discussions with students. 

The event kicked off with an activity regarding identity, giving a space for students to express the ways that their specific identities have affected their life on campus. 

“Race, ethnicity, and gender become more prevalent aspects of my life because of where I am,” said ASM Equity and Inclusion Chair Agalia Ardyasa.

Each organization gave a small presentation about their committee, followed by an opportunity for discussion. 

CRGC focuses on “engaging more interfaith dialogue,” as stated by Interfaith Fellow Michelle Thomas. 

As an established interfaith organization on campus, Thomas said they pride themselves in being an inclusive environment for people of different faiths to learn and grow together. 

During the forum, CRGC gave students a chance to share how their religious upbringing aided in forming their world views and how “no two belief systems necessarily contradict each other,” Thomas said.

Assistant Dean and Director of GSCC Warren Scherrer also led a discussion on how the center attempts to cultivate a sense of belonging for LGBTQ+ students and their allies. 

“We focus on centering the most marginalized, those who are the most adversely impacted,” Warren said. 

Ardyasa concluded the forum by stating that “identity is so important to who I am as a person,” with an overwhelming response being that despite the hardships some identities cause, they form who we are as people.