asm_election.jpg

Associated Students of Madison spring election results increased from last year, yet remains less than 10 percent of the student body. 

ASM election voter turnout sees growth in voter turnout at 7 percent

In a 1 percent uptick from last year’s spring voter turnout, the Associated Students of Madison elected new representatives for the 26th session Wednesday. 

Elections for Student Council and the Student Services Finance Committee members came in with a 7 percent voter turnout. 

For the College of Letters and Science, which has 12 representatives spots available, ASM Legislative Affairs Chair Laura Downer won the top spot with 1014 votes.

“I am energized and humbled by the results and so excited to continue campaigns from this year like Mental Health and Medical Amnesty into next session with some returning members, as well as hear some new voices on council,” Downer said.  

Current School of Business representative Yogev Ben-Yitschak won alongside Jordan Pasbrig, the former Letters and Science representative in the 24th session who ran as a write-in candidate this year. 

“I am so humbled and honored to be able to represent the Wisconsin School of Business,” he said. “I’m excited about everyone who won and that there was an increase in voter turnout. I'm looking forward to making campus as amazing as it can be.”

Mason Johnson, a representative for SSFC, collected the most votes overall with 1297 votes. He along with Will Klos, Landon Tselepis and Richard (Zhaoming) Shi won the four open spots on SSFC. 

Some members currently serving in the 25th session won once again, including Rep. Paulina Eguino, Secretary Julia Warheit and Press Director Morgan Grunow.  

“I am honored and excited to be elected to Student Council for the next session, and I look forward to working with the other representatives to serve the student body,” Grunow said.

New representatives will be sworn into office at the student council meeting April 24.