News_Bascom.jpg

Student participation in the Association of American Universities (AAU) Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct Climate Survey is vital in making the UW-Madison campus safer for all students.

Women of color to receive honor for scholarship, community building

UW-Madison will celebrate the scholarly work and commitment to social justice for marginalized communities in their 11th annual reception for outstanding women of color. 

Five women were chosen because of their dedicated work, outreach and impact to the community, stemmed from a similar award first developed in 1994. 

“This annual reception is a wonderful opportunity to call out just a few of the many women who work tirelessly and selflessly without ever asking for praise or recognition,” said Patrick J. Sims, Deputy Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion, in a statement. For this reason and others, it’s a privilege to celebrate their tenacity, strength and wisdom.” 

More than 50 women have been awarded since 2007, honoring UW-Madison faculty, staff and students, as well as citizens of the Madison community. They are credited for their work in social justice, community service, along with their scholarly research on race and ethnicity. 

They also are recognized for their efforts to create an inclusive and respectful community both on- and off-campus. 

These five women were chosen as this year’s honorees: 

Bianca Baldridge, Assistant Professor, Educational Policy Studies, School of Education;

Mariela Quesada Centeno, Graduate Student, Human Development & Family Studies, School of Human Ecology; Director, Wellness Program, Centro Hispano;

Jennifer Young Choe Edgoose, Associate Professor (CHS), Family Medicine & Community Health, School of Medicine & Public Health;

Melissa Metoxen, Academic Support Coordinator for the Native American Center for Health Professions, School of Medicine and Public Health;

Cherene Sherrard Johnson, Professor of English, College of Letters and Science.

The women will be honored Tuesday, March 5, at the UW-Madison Alumni Lounge of the Pyle Center. The event is free and open to the campus and community.