news_crime.jpg

Multiple robberies and a scuffle with a drug dealer highlighted the weekend for Madison police.  

Robberies, drug arrests keep Madison police active over weekend

Madison police made several arrests late last week and over the weekend involving a number of robberies and a fight with a drug dealer.

Saturday afternoon, officers spotted two cars participating in a drug deal and pulled one over. After a drug dog sniff picked up a scent, police conducted a search and discovered an abundance of drugs as well as a loaded gun. While being arrested, the 17-year-old suspect began to fight police, head-butting an officer before being subdued. He will be charged with battery to a police officer, possession with intent to deliver THC, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of cocaine, possession of heroin and resisting arrest.

Police responded to a residence following a call about a strong-armed robbery Saturday. The victim had made an online post in an attempt to sell a laptop, which the suspect responded to, posing as a woman. When they met, the suspect said he was the woman’s brother. When examining the laptop, the suspect ripped it out of the victim’s hands and ran away. Police were not immediately able to locate the suspect.

Late last week, police discovered a woman inside a gated area of a construction project, where a burglar alarm had been tripped. The project manager, able to monitor the surveillance cameras from home, told police he had seen a white van circling the area and that the project had been having problems with people stealing copper wire from the site. The woman discovered by police was hiding near copper wire, but told police she was homeless. 

However, they found her to be in possession of a walkie-talkie through which they were able to speak to other suspects by pretending to be the first woman. When officers located the white van from the security footage, the two occupants denied they were with anyone else. When a second walkie-talkie was discovered in the van, the three were arrested and charged with burglary.