Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
The Daily Cardinal Est. 1892
Saturday, May 18, 2024
news_firetruck.jpg

A Madison homeowner put out a house fire caused by discarded cigarettes with water and a fire extinguisher. 

Residential fire causes property damage, injuries

Discarded smoking materials allegedly started a fire on Franklin Avenue and Regent Street Tuesday night that caused minor injuries and property damage for a Madison homeowner.

The homeowner was treated at the scene for fire-related injuries but was not taken to the hospital. 

The City of Madison Fire Department believed the fire started when the homeowner threw cigarette butts into a trash can inside the house’s pantry, according to a report.

The report said 20 minutes after the homeowner discarded the cigarettes smoke alarms went off. 

The homeowner then discovered the pantry and kitchen area in flames. When the fire department arrived at 3 p.m., the homeowner had extinguished the fire by using bowls of water and a fire extinguisher. The firefighter’s evaluation confirmed the flames’ location and severity. 

The incident occurred about one mile from Camp Randall Stadium. It is estimated the fire caused $12,500 in damage to the owner’s home.

Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Daily Cardinal has been covering the University and Madison community since 1892. Please consider giving today.

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal