news_courthouse.jpg

Brian Campbell, a Madison man assumed to be preparing for an attack on UW-Madison, could face up to 16 years in prison. 

Prosecutors recommend sentencing for man linked to UW bombing plan

A Madison man is expected to appear in court this week after police found homemade explosives believed to be linked to a  possible attack on UW-Madison in his apartment last year.

Brian Campbell entered into a plea agreement in which he pleaded no contest to charges of possessing improvised explosives and second-degree reckless endangerment, according to the Wisconsin State Journal. 

Under the current agreement, prosecutors can ask for no more than three years of prison time. Assistant District Attorney John Rice filed a memorandum to the court Tuesday outlining a narrative of domestic terrorism, including searches on Campbell’s computer outlining explosive-making instructions and a map of university tunnels. 

In February of last year, police seized explosive materials including a green fuse cord, a homemade detonator, a metal pipe, a metal switch and a threaded brass pipe cap from the defendant’s west-side apartment. 

In the memorandum, Rice said Campbell’s computer password was "McVeigh," the last name of the man who bombed a federal building in Oklahoma City in 1995, killing 168 people. 

Campbell was banned from UW-Madison after assaulting a fellow member of the Hoofers sailing club in 2016. 

Circuit Judge Susan Crawford has the ultimate decision over Campbell’s sentencing time. He could face up to 16 years in prison.