Celebrate this Valentine's Day by loving yourself

Chocolates, stuffed animals, roses, and candlelit dinners. All the things that everyone is planning, getting or receiving in anticipation for V-day. Everyone seems to be in love, besides you, or at least that’s what you think. 

Valentine’s day can be great for some people. For others, however, this day for single people can be a dreaded, miserable day where all you can think about are all the reasons for you being single, and why no one will fall in love with you. 

Just because you may be single and not spending your day with that special someone, doesn’t mean it can’t be a spectacular day.

Valentine’s day is about love; and this year, instead of being miserable and shutting the whole entire world out for a day, open your eyes and find the love that is in your life and that you have for yourself. 

Even if you are single on Valentine’s Day, there are things you can do to keep a healthy mindset about loving who you are and celebrating all you have done for yourself right on our campus. 

Go to memorial union and paint a canvas. Go to the gym and run a mile or lift weights. Go buy yourself your favorite flavor of Babcock ice cream. Go to the bookstore and buy that hockey jersey you have been eyeing. 

Whatever it is that makes you happy, do it. Shift your focus from all the “lovey-dovey” stuff and look to things that are positive in your life. You must be happy and love yourself before anyone else can, so start the process on Valentine’s Day. 

It can be a great day for everyone by really looking at what it is about. It is about love, regardless of where it is coming from and who is going to receive it.