news_education.jpg

UW System Task Force for Advancing Teachers and School Leaders in the State of Wisconsin will search for methods to combat the dwindling number of teachers and administrators in Wisconsin schools. It is co-chaired by Dean of UW-Madison’s School of Education.

UW System task force paves way for filling essential teacher and administrator positions

The hopes of meeting the need for more teachers and education leaders throughout Wisconsin is gearing up to be answered by the UW System with new task force. 

Made of eight individuals, the UW System Task Force for Advancing Teachers and School Leaders in the State of Wisconsin will craft a report and develop recommendations to fulfill the necessity for more educators throughout the state. 

Dean of UW-Madison’s School of Education Diana Hess and Deborah Kerr, the president-elect of AASA (the national School Superintendents Association) and current superintendent of the Brown Deer School District, will be co-chairing the UW System group.

“All of our Wisconsin schoolchildren deserve to have the best and brightest teachers in their lives,” Kerr said. “We are looking forward to working collaboratively to identify best practices for teacher recruitment and retention and collectively create a plan of action. Our Wisconsin educational system can only continue to grow, thrive, and excel with a vibrant workforce.”

This partners the Wisconsin Department of Public Institution, Wisconsin teacher preparation programs and the pre-kindergarten to 12th grade school community to increase access to education and leadership programs, according to Hess. 

In June 2017, Regent Regina Milner began a discussion with the Board of Regents about the dwindling enrollment at UW System schools, which is impacting rural areas, as well as subject areas with high-need. 

Last December, the Regents created the task force to address the challenges of decreasing enrollment in teacher education and certification, as well as the low number of certified teachers and administrators receiving their degree from UW System schools. 

It will also look into improving college access and affordability for teacher education and school leadership programs within the UW System. 

The group will produce a report with their recommendations by May 1, 2019.