17299241862_958fc56982_b.jpg

Saving money is all the more important after the holiday season.

Three money-conscious ideas for a post-break student bank account

It’s no secret the average college student feels like they have to declare bankruptcy like Michael Scott. For most of them, hopefully, that’s not really the case. 

With the new year and new semester comes a responsibility for students who may have spent a few extra pennies on holiday shopping. Here are a few easy ways to save money and get through the new semester.

Get rid of subscriptions

Let’s be honest, we could all probably go without one of our online streaming subscriptions. Whether it be Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Showtimes or HBO, having them all is not necessary. 

For a few months of the semester, especially when we should be studying instead of bingeing, reconsidering subscriptions could help alleviate some financial stress. Plus, “Game of Thrones” doesn’t come out until April anyways.

Use Facebook Marketplace

Spring semester also means spring cleaning, and there are plenty of ways to purge and sell your old clothes, furniture and other useless items kept in our apartments. Luckily, there are a couple hundred thousand potential customers within the city limits. 

With the Facebook Marketplace, it’s easy to buy and sell with students like you. An added bonus to the page is the filtering feature that allows for you to see only free items up for grabs. Not only is it easy to sell, but the items are relatively cheap and most of the time free. 

Explore the Mills Music library

In the Memorial Library basement, there is the hidden gem of the Mills Music library. It’s a free way to check out countless forms of music and is a cool environment to be in. 

With turntables, record players, CDs and many more historical artifacts, this bides as a different adventure for music enthusiasts. 

These are just a few money-saving ideas to help take on the upcoming semester that won’t take up too much time, can earn you a quick buck or even offer a free adventure that can turn into a hobby.