Despite a strong performance from sophomore forward Nate Reuvers, the Badgers fell short to the Maryland Terrapins. 

Badgers fall to Terrapins 64-60 after another horrible first half

A sense of déjà vu permeated Wisconsin’s (3-3 Big Ten, 11-6 overall) loss to Maryland Monday. Terrapin junior guard Anthony Cowan Jr. scored 21 points and knocked down a dagger three-pointer in the final minute as Maryland (4-1, 15-3) held off a late Wisconsin comeback to win 64-60. Sophomore forward Nate Reuvers led the way for the Badgers with a career-high 18 points. 

An unsightly first half, which brought to mind their anemic start against Minnesota, ensured there would be no fifth-straight road win for UW. The Badgers managed only 15 points in the first 20 minutes, shooting 30 percent from the field, including 0-for-7 from three-point range. They were also only 1-for-4 from the free-throw line as Maryland capitalized to hold a 20-point lead at the half.

As was the case against Minnesota, the Badgers endured long stretches without scoring. After pulling to within five points with 14:09 to go in the first half, they went nearly seven minutes without a point. They then went scoreless again for the last 4:08 of the half. These dry periods proved an insurmountable obstacle. 

In the second half, foul trouble for Maryland offered a glimmer of hope. With sophomore forward Bruno Fernando stuck on the bench for much of the stretch run for the Terps, the Badgers went on a 34-15 run to take the lead by one, relying on three-pointers to claw their way back. Senior forward Ethan Happ also found himself in foul trouble halfway through the half, but Reuvers stepped up in his absence, going on a 9-0 run by himself at one point in the half. The Badgers outscored Maryland 16-7 while Happ sat. 

A now-familiar set of flaws continued to rear its ugly head. The Terps gathered 10 offensive rebounds and went to the line numerous times down the stretch, shooting 24-for-29 from the free-throw line on the evening. The Badgers converted only half of their six opportunities from the charity stripe. 

After a torrid start to the year from beyond the arc, Wisconsin’s shooting woes continued at the start. Following the goose egg in the first half, however, they improved tremendously down the stretch. Maryland, after hitting four of their first five attempts from distance, finished 8-for-16 for the game. 

Next up is a huge matchup with the undefeated No. 2 Michigan Wolverines at the Kohl Center on Saturday. 

Tip is at 11 a.m.