massey-goes-to-mass.jpg

Former UW-Madison School of Business dean accepts new job at Massachusetts flagship university after serving one semester. 

From one flagship to another: Former business school dean accepts new position following resignation after one semester

The University of Massachusetts-Amherst selected Anne Massey — the former UW-Madison School of Business dean who resigned after one semester due to plans to discontinue the Master of Business Administration program — to lead its management school.

Massey will assume her new position as the Isenberg School of Management dean at Massachusetts’s flagship university in August.

After spending 22 years at Indiana University, Massey joined UW-Madison’s School of Business in August 2017.

Two months later, Massey proposed to halt admissions to the university’s two-year full-time MBA program due to declining enrollment. 

Like UW-Madison, University of Massachussets-Amherst also has a full-time MBA program.

Massey’s proposal is not isolated, however, as other universities like the University of Iowa and Virginia Tech discontinued their MBA programs.

However, the proposal was met with backlash by students, faculty and alumni at Wisconsin’s flagship school. It was dropped a matter of days later.

Massey resigned as the school's leader Dec. 31, 2017, and joined the faculty in 2018. She wrote in her resignation letter that her vision for the school differed from UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank's.

The business school remains in the middle of a national search for its next leader with plans to be announced in early 2019, according to John Lucas, an UW-Madison spokesperson.