Wisconsin fell at Green Bay 55-46. 

Wisconsin fell at Green Bay 55-46. 

Badgers fall 55-46 on the road to Green Bay

Wisconsin (0-0 Big Ten, 7-3 overall) struggled in on the road against Green Bay (0-0 Horizon, 4-4 overall) as nothing seemed to go their way in a 55-46 loss for the Badgers.

The game started off on a high note for the Badgers thanks to an opening 14-5 run. Multiple scores from freshman forward Imani Lewis and redshirt senior guard Kelly Kharlis, along with assists from junior guard Kendra Van Leeuwen, made a promising start for Wisconsin.

The Badgers had trouble scoring baskets, while Green Bay’s freshman guard Anna Brecht nailed two three-pointers to bring the Phoenix back to tie the game at 16. The game stayed close for the rest of the half as Kelly Kharlis scored seven of Wisconsin’s nine points in the second quarter. At the half, the Badgers were beginning to get into some foul trouble with star players like Van Leeuwen and senior forward Marsha Howard picking up multiple fouls.

The third quarter of the game proved to be an important one for the Phoenix. With 2:06 left in the quarter, the Phoenix went on an 8-1 run to finish the quarter with a six-point lead. Their run was fueled by sloppy ball handling, as Wisconsin gave away multiple turnovers and missed three of four free throw attempts. Not only did they play poorly offensively, Wisconsin also managed to foul Green Bay three times in the last minute of the quarter, helping the Phoenix pull away with the lead.

Fouls plagued the Badgers in the final quarter of the game. Lewis, Van Leeuwen and Howard all received their fourth personal fouls in the quarter, putting a burden on Wisconsin head coach Jonathan Tsipis and limiting their time on the court. Wisconsin also had difficulty shutting down Green Bay’s redshirt senior guard Jen Wellnitz, who tied the game-high in points with 14, shooting an effective six-for-seven from the court and getting four steals. Green Bay held a firm lead for the entirety of the fourth quarter, handing Wisconsin its third loss in the last four games.

One of the main takeaways for the Badgers is that they need to improve from the charity stripe. Wisconsin shot six-for-13 (46.2 percent) from the free throw line, which was one of their worst free throw shooting percentages on the year. Even though the Badgers kept the game close for the first half of the game, they’ll look to bounce back next against Chicago State Dec. 12.