UW-Superior hosted an annual training to boost accessibility for non-traditional and veteran students on campus in celebration of the 100-year anniversary of World War I.

UW-Superior trainings encourage accessibility for veteran, non-traditional students

A century after the armistice was signed to end World War I, UW System students and faculty united to learn about methods for expanding accessibility to veterans across university campuses.

UW-Superior staff collaborated in their annual “Green-Zone” training, which aids staff in better supporting military veterans and non-traditional students, who are learners over the age of 25.

“Green-Zone” trainings provide students and staff with updates on military culture and discuss the unique experiences student veterans bring to campuses.

"A lot of veterans do have a broad life experience compared to traditional peers on campus, so being able to talk about what they want to bring to the classroom can enhance the learning experience for everybody,” said Monte Stewart, the services coordinator for the UW-Superior Veteran and Non-traditional Student Center.

For six consecutive years, the trainings have also helped veterans re-adjust to civilian life after returning from service. Nearly 7 percent of students are veterans, while 42 percent make up the non-traditional student population, according to the student veterans who led the event.

“For UW-Superior to offer these programs, it makes the veteran students and myself to feel more comfortable,” said veteran student leader Nathan Nelson at the training. “It’s a more welcoming environment and it just helps a whole learning process.”

The trainings are recommended for both students and faculty since they provide essential support to a large portion of students on campus. Notably, they teach professors to ensure they are providing direct instructions on their assignments and use common military terminology.

UW System President Ray Cross called the universities’ services for veterans “the best in the country.”

In Wisconsin, the G.I. Bill covers full-time tuition of both undergraduates and graduates for military veterans and their family members.

Five thousand ninety-one eligible veterans and their family members received $24.3 million in UW System funds in the last fiscal year. The system provides priority registration to all veterans.

All four-year institutions have earned UW Vets Certification, a program that helps veterans in the process of deciding on a university. The criteria ranges from conducting periodic veteran surveys to providing academic, financial and social counseling.

“As a veteran myself, I understand the personal sacrifice you make to protect our country and our freedoms, and I appreciate as well the sacrifices made by your families,” Cross said.