UW-Madison study abroad programs ranked high in recent report

The 2018 Open Doors Report showed UW-Madison led U.S. institutions in the number two spot for participation in semester-long study abroad programs, and 16th in the nation for overall study abroad participation.

The report is published every year by the Institute of International Education at the start of International Education Week. A briefing of the data was held Tuesday in Washington, D.C. Experts presented the report and held a discussion about trends in international exchange.

The number of UW-Madison students studying abroad climbed from 2,244 in 2015-16 to 2,276 in 2016-17. The most popular programs were semester and year-long trips, with 56 percent of participants choosing this duration.

UW-Madison also out-performed its peers in the Big 10 Academic Alliance. The report ranked Madison in the top spot for the Big Ten and public institutions in the U.S.

UW-Madison’s International Academic Programs boasts 229 programs in 69 countries. The most popular programs students are located in Spain, Italy, England, Denmark, Australia, France, Thailand, Costa Rica, China and Uganda.

Dan Gold, director of the IAP study abroad office, attributed the high rates of participation to a number of factors, including major-focused programs, increased funding and programs that are accessible to younger students.

“UW–Madison’s continued growth in program participation can be attributed in part to programming developed to draw students early in their academic careers,” Gold said.

The study abroad office offers peer advising, financial planning, recruitment and services dedicated to supporting students.