Gov. Scott Walker and Democratic challenger Tony Evers are statistically tied in Marquette’s newest gubernatorial poll, while U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., maintains a hefty lead on Republican Leah Vukmir.

Walker, Evers in dead heat while Baldwin leads Vukmir in new poll

A new poll conducted by Marquette Law School found incumbent Republican Gov. Scott Walker and Democratic challenger Tony Evers in a dead heat in the race for Wisconsin governor.

The poll, which interviewed 1,000 registered voters in Wisconsin from Oct. 3-7, found that Walker had 47 percent support to Evers’ 46 percent. Only 1 percent of likely voters do not lean toward a specific candidate.

These new numbers are a slight change from Marquette’s September poll, which had Evers leading Walker, 49 percent to 44 percent.

The poll also found incumbent U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., leading among likely voters in her race against Republican challenger Leah Vukmir, receiving 53 percent compared to Vukmir’s 43 percent. These numbers are nearly identical to September’s poll numbers, which showed Baldwin receiving 53 percent support, and Vukmir receiving 42 percent support.

Though Baldwin has a comfortable lead in the race for the Senate seat, the race for governor appears to be one that will come down to the wire. The key to this race may be how independents vote. This latest poll shows that independent, likely voters lean slightly in favor of Tony Evers, 46 percent to 40 percent.

The strongest support for Evers comes from white, female college students, leading Walker in the same category 64 percent to 34 percent. Contrarily, Walker’s strongest support comes from white, male non-college graduates, leading Evers 60 percent to 32 percent.

Both governor candidates look to gain as much ground on one another as possible before the Nov. 6 general election.