UW System seeks funds to promote affordability, prosperous opportunities

Board of Regents boosts careers and student affordability in meeting last Thursday.

The UW System shared plans to improve resources and increase student opportunities post-graduation through the Capacity-Buildings Initiatives and Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant Thursday.

The Board of Regents announced a $25 million funding request in hopes of encouraging students to pursue degrees in fields with high prospects in the workforce — including healthcare, science, technology, engineering and math programs.

Through this initiative, students will be able to finish their degrees quicker in order to pursue desired career paths sooner.

As part of the 2019-’21 budget, the initiatives align with goals of the 2020FWD framework. This will promote students’ university experience and boost education and its place in the state’s community.

There is also an opportunity to build up career service infrastructure to increasing student interest in providing cooperative education and internships. The funding will go toward employers and staff who will help students find their place in the workforce.

UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Mark Mone is hoping to advance current programming through strengthening faculty diversity, increasing student advising and offering more spots in nursing and STEM programs.

Chancellor Debbie Ford stated that by 2025, UW-Parkside is hoping to increasing their number of yearly graduates by 50 percent. They will do so by increasing the number of advisors and piloting regional pre-college programs.

Campuses within the UW System offer an opportunity for students to promote job searching as well as work to provide sustainable education while on campus.

The Fund for Wisconsin Scholars has provided more than 900 transfer and new UW System students with grants as they start the new year in a new place.

This provides need-based grants for students who graduated from Wisconsin public high schools then attend a UW System school to promote the access to and completion of collegiate education.

“We are very grateful to the Morgridges for their continuing support of increasing higher educational opportunities for students,” UW System President Ray Cross said in the press release. “Expanding the number of citizens who complete post-secondary education will improve the quality of life for all Wisconsin citizens, benefiting both the individual and communities.”

Students who continue to need the funds will receive them throughout their college careers, upon meeting the criteria, with a maximum of 10 total semesters.

The fund has provided more than $65 million dollars to UW System schools and $8 million to UW Technical Colleges since its creation in 2007.