Trump rallies for Walker, Vukmir in Mosinee

President Donald Trump stopped in Wisconsin Wednesday night to hold a rally for Gov. Scott Walker and Republican candidate for U.S. Senate Leah Vukmir, both of whom will face tough elections in November.

Trump landed in Mosinee and spoke to a large crowd at Central Wisconsin Airport in hopes of buoying the electoral chances of the state’s embattled Republicans.

“Scott Walker is a tireless warrior,” Trump said. “We are so happy to have you back here in the state of Wisconsin.”

The president spoke favorably of the unemployment rate in Wisconsin, as well as the controversial deal the state government forged with Taiwanese electronics giant Foxconn.

He reiterated Walker’s promise to continue to protect the coverage of pre-existing conditions, despite state efforts to challenge the Affordable Care Act, which enforces such protections, in federal court.

“Republicans will always protect Americans with pre-existing conditions, 100 percent," Trump said.

In a new ad released prior to the president’s arrival, Walker reiterated central campaign issues of Trump, notably immigration, accusing Democratic candidate Tony Evers of desiring “special treatment for illegal aliens.”

Progressive groups have largely advised voters to ignore the president’s rally, calling it a distraction from the issues.

“While [Walker] runs racist TV ads, he campaigns with a president who demonizes immigrants and is actively working to gut health care coverage for million of Americans,” NextGen Wisconsin State Youth Director George Olufosoye said. “Young people see right through Walker's dog-whistle politics, and we're ready to elect Tony Evers because he will put the values of our generation ahead of appeasing Donald Trump and his hateful agenda."

Former President Barack Obama is expected to visit Milwaukee next Friday to support Vukmir’s opponent, Democratic U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin. Former Vice President Joe Biden will support Democrats and rally for early voting Tuesday.