Funding for faculty will roll over into the upcoming school year, university officials announced Tuesday. 

Funding, pay adjustments for UW-Madison faculty continue from previous year

UW-Madison is allocating $11.5 million in central campus funding for faculty and staff pay adjustments for 2018-’19.

Last year’s funding went toward the performance bonus fund, block grant and discretionary compensation fund in an attempt to relieve issues surrounding staff’s compensation. All three of these initiatives will roll over into 2018-'19, the university announced Tuesday.

The funding goes towards particular faculty and staff of UW-Madison who are considered high performers, at risk of being hired by another institution or are in proximity to equity issues.

“We are continuing the pay adjustments from funding because it is important to recruit and retain high-quality faculty and staff,” said Meredith McGlone, Director of News and Media Relations for UW-Madison.

These funds are in addition to the 4 percent general pay increase promised last January of 2018. In July 2018, the first 2 percent took place and the next 2 percent will occur this January.

Additional funding from UW-Madison colleges, schools and divisions last year resulted in an added $21 million to the $11.5 million from central campus funding. Individual schools and colleges are once again encouraged to pursue their own funding to contribute to extra pay increases for their staff.

The central campus funding for staff compensation does not happen consecutively every year, but periodically over time. Faculty feedback has been positive resulting in the continuation of the initiatives.