Foxconn returns to campus to promote job creation, enhance innovation

Foxconn Days are coming to UW-Madison following the announcement of their partnership in August.

After announcing the partnership with UW-Madison, Foxconn will provide an opportunity for students and faculty to engage with the company’s new technology and discuss job outlook.

The Foxconn Days event welcomes new innovative technology and staff, who will be in the building to discuss job opportunities and students’ place in the company’s future. The electronics manufacturer is currently working to fill several hundred positions in the state.

“This event is a great opportunity for people on the Madison campus and in the broader community to learn more out about breakthroughs that are happening at Foxconn,” UW-Madison Vice Chancellor for University Relations Charles Hoslet said.

In an effort to connect university students and staff with Foxconn, the company is asking for submissions for their Smart Cities - Smart Future initiative.

The contest encourages Wisconsin technical colleges and universities to submit their ideas for a smarter and safer city, which includes improving the quality of life and advancing smart manufacturing and infrastructure.

“This partnership between our universities and Foxconn can be the catalyst for Wisconsin to become a global technology hub. It’s a partnership that will enable talent, technology, investment and smart communities,” UW System President Ray Cross and Director US Strategic Initiatives Alan Yeung wrote.

Foxconn intends to commit $1 million over a period of three years to back this initiative. The company will then pick and support the best entries that will boost the living and working environments for citizens throughout the state.

The company will directly embody the Wisconsin Idea through boosting research opportunities and mechanisms as well as the creation of more than 13,000 jobs in the new Wisconn Valley Science and Technology Park.

In correlation with the company, UW-Parkside has introduced a lecture series and course revolving around smart cities, which applies technology to an urban space in hopes of enacting positive change.

“Realizing just how few people on campus even know what it is, that’s probably also true for students and it’s probably also true for the community,” said Christopher Hudspeth, director of Parkside’s Center for Professional Studies.

Foxconn Days will be held in UW-Madison’s Engineering Hall on Thursday and Friday.