Crime, transportation, and dorm-life were some of the topics discussed in the 2018 Student Safety Web Chat hosted by UWPD. 

Web chat held by university officials answer campus safety questions

In an effort to communicate with UW-Madison students, parents and staff members, university experts launched a live webchat, answering questions regarding campus safety.

The 2018 Student Safety Web Chat, hosted by the UW–Madison Police, Division of Student Life, University Health Services, University Housing and the Parent and Family Program went live on Sept. 26, allowing parents and students to ask a range of questions regarding campus safety with responses from police officers and staff leaders.

“We’re here to answer your questions about campus safety and security, how to play a role in talking to your student about campus safety, when and why UWPD sends Crime Warnings and WiscAlerts and other questions you have,”  University Communications said.

Parents and students asked questions regarding transportation and safety when walking alone, especially at night. Marc Lovicott, UWPD Communications Director, responded by recommending that “folks use good judgment when walking on campus at night.”

“That means walking in well-lit areas, walking in groups, and recruiting a buddy so they know where you're walking and your expected arrival time,” Lovicott said.

Other responses included information about SAFEwalk and additional transportation options.

The director of University Housing addressed policing in dorms saying “a great benefit to living on campus is the comfort of knowing you are in a place where University Police Liaisons make frequent visits, day and night, to the University Residence Halls.”

The web chat also included questions about homelessness in Madison and how the UWPD will move forward with this issue.

“We've been partnering with the City of Madison on this issue and have been working hard to increase our presence in the areas in which we see more homeless people gather — particularly in the Library Mall area,” Lovicott said. “Not only have we increased patrols in the area, but we've also worked to engage with individuals, help provide resources and educate.”