UW Volleyball looks to continue hot start during Big Ten play

To say the Badger volleyball squad has had an outstanding last couple of weeks would be an understatement. Wisconsin (2-0 Big Ten, 9-1 overall) have dropped only one set over their past four outings, proving they are up to the task of competing for the Big Ten title — arguably the nation’s best volleyball conference.

In the past two weekends, Wisconsin bounced back from their first loss to finish off their non-conference schedule strong, defeating the No. 21 Marquette Golden Eagles (1-1 Big East, 10-4) in straight sets, and the Illinois State Redbirds (2-0 Missouri Valley Conference, 10-4) 3-1.

UW carried that energy into Big Ten play, topping both the Ohio State Buckeyes (1-1 Big Ten, 10-4), and the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (0-2, 6-9) in straight sets to begin the conference slate.

Perhaps what has been so impressive about this team over the past week is the depth that they display each night. It seems as though there is a new star every match, and instead of selling out to stop one, or two players, opponents are forced to pick their poison and hope for the best.

Sophomore outside hitter Molly Haggerty has proven to be a huge asset, coming of a year in which she took a medical redshirt, as a player, but also as one of the teams most prominent personalities, and leaders on and off the court.

Haggerty has shown time and time again throughout matches nothing but encouragement to her teammates, and the energy she brings each and every night sends shockwaves throughout the rest of the team.

The team will need to keep that same energy going as they face a gauntlet of a schedule over the next week. Starting wednesday, Wisconsin will begin a week long stretch that includes matches against No. 7 Minnesota, No. 16 Purdue, and finish next Wednesday against No. 8 Illinois.

If the Badgers manage to make it out of this stretch 2-1, or even better 3-0, they will be in good shape to make a run at the regular season Big Ten title, with only one road game left versus a ranked opponent (No. 18 Michigan).