For students with special learning needs, a new online portal has replaced — and, coordinators say, hopefully streamlined — the in-paper accommodations McBurney request process.

New electronic system aims to make learning more accessible for students with disabilities

The McBurney Center provides resources for students who need supplemental learning options. Its directors rolled out the updated online system at the beginning of the semester as a way to improve communication between these students and their professors.

“The mission of the McBurney Disability Resource Center is to lead the campus community Forward in Access for students with disabilities,” a Center spokesperson wrote in a press release. “The Center’s new electronic accommodation and case management system helps achieve this goal.”

The update includes a revised case management database, where instructors can view the individual needs of students in their classes. This way, students who may need certain accommodations for some classes but not others will be able to make specific arrangements with their professors.

So far, the McBurney Center reports that the update has received positive feedback since its implementation.

“Staff have received a variety of feedback from students stating they like the new system, especially the notetaking,” the Center said. “Two graduate students have also shared that they like the capability of choosing what accommodations they use for each class and do not have to share all of their accommodations with each instructor.”