The city’s Plan Commission is scheduled to take up a demolition request at its meeting Monday for a vacant building at 126 Langdon Street.

City planning commission to take up demolition request for vacant Langdon building

The city’s Plan Commision is scheduled to take up a demolition request at its meeting Monday for a vacant building at 126 Langdon Street.

The building, formerly known as “The Langdon,” has been decommissioned since 2011 and there is currently no use for the building. Between 1963 and 2008, the building operated as a dormitory in different capacities.

The project has already received supported by the city’s planning division which, in a letter to the committee, notes that it “believes that the standards for the Demolition Permit can be met.”

Although the request specifically notes that the demolition would occur without an immediate replacement project in place, the city’s Downtown Plan recommends that the Langdon Neighborhood be kept as a traditional student-dominant location that focuses on residential property.

Until a new project begins, the vacant land will be kept as a “green space condition.”

However, nearby residents have already voiced concerns over the demolition, including Tammy Ehrmann, president of the sorority Delta Delta Delta, who worried about dust entering their house while windows were open during the summertime. She ask that the city confirm these materials wouldn’t be harmful.

If approved, the demolition would begin in early summer 2018.