Parking commission approves motion to increase parking rates

The Madison Transit and Parking Commission approved a motion Wednesday to increase parking rates at lots and garages around the city starting in June.

Because of an increase in usage, the rates for the State Street campus and State Street Capitol garages are set to jump $0.20 and $0.30, respectively.

The increases at the state Capitol garage are specifically due to an increase in seasonal demand, which has occasionally left the garage filled during busy winter weeks.

The monthly rates for the Wilson and Brayton lots are also scheduled to increase by $10 per month, although there will not be any increase in services.

Emails from Madison residents regarding the rate change that were attached to the resolution were resoundingly negative. Citizens are concerned the increase will de-incentivize shoppers to visit State Street and will have a negative effect on local businesses’ bottom lines.

“I am considered lower-middle class and I cannot afford an extra $2-3/day to park,” wrote one resident. “What is the reason for this high of an increase?”

Others have noted the $0.30/hr increase at the State Street Capitol garage will amount to an annual increase of $712.80 for those who use the garage for nine hours a day. Frustrated residents say this would be a considerable amount for college students and downtown Madison employees.