Lorde proved she was a force to be reckoned with during her performance at Milwaukee's BMO Harris Bradley Center on March 1.

Astonishing vocals, visuals on full display at Lorde concert in Milwaukee

Lorde kicked off her “Melodrama” North American tour in Milwaukee earlier this month with Tove Styrke and Run the Jewels. After suffering through two hours of dreadful, mediocre opening acts, the crowd was getting restless.

The lights went out in the BMO Harris Bradley Center, and the screams of about 10,000 fans filled the darkness. With a short visual video, these screams were replaced with loud booms of bass. A single spotlight focused on the dancers with each beat, which only gave them about two seconds to change poses.

Lorde appeared from behind them like a ghost, sporting a long, white silk cloak, bra and parachute pants. Within 30 seconds, I knew she was coming for blood.

After the opener, “Sober,” off her sophomore album Melodrama, she wasted no time with transitioning songs. Between the modern dancers, Lorde’s hypnotic vocals, visual backgrounds and aesthetic lights, the crowd remained in awe for the beginning of the concert.

She then took the time to take a break and thanked the audience for being there. Lorde brought a refreshing sense of shyness, humbleness and embarrassment which reminded us that she is only 21 years old.

Almost like a switch, she went right back into the concert and performed “Buzzcut Season.” In the middle of the song, a giant glass tank emerged from the floor of the stage with the same dancers as before.

This was the only prop used throughout the entire concert, which kept the show simple, yet intriguing. The glass tank was highlighted during “Yellow Flicker Beat,” where it rose dozens of feet in the air as a single dancer still stood on top.

The tank began to tilt and rock side to side at angles of nearly 50 degrees, yet the dancer proved her immense strength and talent — she seamlessly defied gravity by continuing her dance unphased. The tank rose in and out of the floor periodically throughout the concert, creating a unique effect that kept the show from flatlining.

A highlight of the night was when Lorde stripped down both literally and figuratively. About halfway through the concert, all dancers left the stage, and a single spotlight was cast on the superstar.

This was the point in the show where she got the most intimate and interactive with the audience. When she told us personal stories about her life, it felt like I was talking to a best friend. Lorde followed this with the Melodrama ballads “Writer in the Dark” and “Liability.” She also covered the Frank Ocean song “Solo” from his album, Blonde.

The simplicity of the stage kept Lorde’s voice from being drowned out by the effects of the concert. She not only stripped down the set, but her clothes as well — she changed outfits right on stage while inside the glass tank. The dim lighting outlined her body as a silhouette, and it showed Lorde’s ability to be bold and daring, a side I did not know she had.

After about two hours of astonishing vocals, creative choreography and visuals that made people’s jaws drop, Lorde performed an encore. By using an instrument which looped together beats and sounds, she recreated the production of her song “Loveless,” proving that Lorde can do much more than just sing.

She also debuted the unreleased “Precious Metals,” a song which didn’t make Melodrama’s final tracklist. To close, she sang the hit Pure Heroine track “Team” and went into the audience to hug fans, once again showing Lorde’s humble side. She then took a final bow and left the stage.

I have seen many amazing concerts, but Lorde’s performance in Milwaukee was one of the most fun. From the moment she walked onstage to her final bow, I could not stop smiling, as she was a force to be reckoned with.

I felt careless and free, like I was singing and dancing in my bedroom with best friends. If you plan on seeing a concert this spring, I highly recommend Lorde’s “Melodrama” Tour.

To listen to the songs mentioned in this review, check out our Lorde Spotify playlist: