Luna’s Groceries was granted additional funding to help it launch in one of Madison’s “food deserts.”

Allied-Dunn’s Marsh neighborhood one step closer to new grocery

Desperate for a reliable source of food in the Allied-Dunn’s Marsh neighborhood of Madison, community member Marian Maldonado took action.

She stood before the Madison Food Policy Council Wednesday to plead her case for Luna’s Groceries, a proposed new store that aims to “integrate food, education and community through a neighborhood grocery store.”

The council approved her proposal unanimously.

Maldonado moved to Madison 14 years ago from the Dominican Republic and recently graduated from Edgewood College with a degree in business.

She submitted the funding proposal with the Healthy Access Retail Program because she thinks Luna’s could positively influence the neighborhood, which she said “is a food desert.”

During the council meeting, Maldonado emphasized the benefits of a new grocery store in the area, such as access to basic health supplies, fresh foods and a meeting space for community members.

Members of the policy council expressed the urgent need for this store, including one member who said, “We need food in this neighborhood, soon.”

Luna’s Groceries is expected to be built on 2030 Red Arrow Trail, pending approval for another loan, which was contingent on the food policy council’s approval.