UW-Madison issued a crime warning after the UW-Madison Police Department "stumbled upon" a sexual assault that occurred in an unknown fraternity Saturday.

Sexual assault reportedly occurred in unnamed fraternity

A sexual assault reportedly occurred in an unknown UW-Madison fraternity Saturday, according to a UW-Madison Crime Warning. The warning said the victim and suspect knew each other.

UW-Madison Police Department Director of Communications Marc Lovicott said the victim is not interested in formally reporting the incident to police yet. This means there is not an active investigation, and UWPD does not have any further information at this time. If the victim chooses to work with authorities it will be through the Madison Police Department since the assault occurred off-campus.

Lovicott said UWPD “stumbled upon” the sexual assault after being involved with an unrelated case — which he could not elaborate on — that lead them to speak to the victim and their friends.

Actions taken in response to the crime fall under the Clery Act, a federal laws that requires universities to issue public warnings when incidents such as sexual assaults occur, which resulted in the crime warning email that was issued Sunday.

Lovicott said UWPD is working with UW-Madison campus resources to get the victim assistance if they seek “services to work through what happened.”