According to a recent survey of UW-Madison students, faculty and staff, over 8 in 10 support a 100 percent tobacco-free campus.

UW-Madison student orgs join #GivingTuesday

Dubbed the “Global Day of Giving,” UW-Madison students organizations are getting involved in #GivingTuesday as part of a campaign urging people nationwide to donate money to philanthropic organizations after Black Friday through social media connections.

Project HEAL and Camp Kasem are among several organizations on campus that participated in the movement.

UW-Madison’s chapter of Project HEAL, a nonprofit that raises money for eating disorder treatment, aimed to raise $300 for treatment funds for those suffering from eating disorders and mental illness.

According to Stephanie Wilman, the organization’s co-president, #GivingTuesday is a valuable fundraising opportunity for their organization because their chapter is new to campus. Every donation makes a difference, Wilman said.

“As a new organization, this was a big fundraiser for us and the results have been kind of unexpected,” Wilman said. The national organization was the force behind UW’s chapter in participating in the movement, she said.

Although the organization has only been on campus for two years, Wilman said Project HEAL raised over $266 by 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Camp Kasem, a student organization that raises money for children whose parents have cancer, participated in the movement by collecting donations throughout the day to send children to a one-week summer camp program for free.

Carrie Snodgrass, a Camp Kasem executive board member, emphasized the effectiveness of #GivingTuesday. She said the movement is beneficial because people are able to donate through social media.

“I love #GivingTuesday because it creates a platform so that I can raise $1,500 just by posting on Facebook,” Snodgrass said.

According to Snodgrass, cancer is a significant financial burden for families which increases the importance of fundraising for the organization.

“I would do anything to give the kids hope, even if it’s just for one week,” she said.