The new kiosk on the second floor of Memorial Union — which officially opens Saturday — will honor UW-Madison alumni who have died in battle. 

New digital kiosk in Memorial Union will commemorate fallen soldiers

The Wisconsin Union is partnering with the UW-Madison classes of 1963 and 1967 to open a new digital kiosk this Saturday that will tell the stories of fallen UW-Madison soldiers.

The memorial — located on the second floor of Memorial Union in the main hall — will feature the names of UW-Madison graduates that died in wars from the Civil War to present day.

The kiosk will serve as a new way to continue to pay tribute the Gold Star Honor Roll, a dedication to the UW-Madison students who died on active duty. For several years, these soldier’s names were inscribed on plaques on the walls of Memorial Hall.

However, space on the walls has become limited as the number of fallen soldiers has increased throughout the years.

The location of the kiosk was intentional, according to Wisconsin Union Communications Director Shauna Breneman. Memorial Union was named in honor of UW-Madison soldiers who died in the Civil War, the Spanish-American War and World War I.

Memorial Union opened in 1928 not only as a place to gather but also as a memorial to our fallen soldiers,” Breneman said.

Breneman said she is hopeful the event will bring the UW-Madison community together.

“It will be an incredible event,” Breneman said. “We hope the university will join us Saturday for the unveiling and also to take a moment to remember our fallen heroes.”