The new Amazon package pickup center in Sellery Hall allows Prime members to receive one-day shipping options and return without packaging. 

Amazon facility in Sellery aims to make package delivery easier

If you’re tired of waiting for packages, don’t worry — an Amazon pickup point now open in Sellery Residence Hall plans to eliminate the wait for Prime customers.

The 2,500-square-foot site, located on the east side of Sellery Hall, offers UW-Madison students, faculty and staff free-one day pickup on orders placed before 10 p.m. According to a university release, when Prime members order a package and select “Amazon@UWMadison” as the shipping address, they will receive an email with a link to a barcode. Once the package arrives, the customer can use the barcode to unlock the self-serve locker at the facility.

Tucker Bradshaw, a UW-Madison sophomore and Amazon facility worker, said the package pickup center is beneficial to campus because it ensures students will receive their packages.

“I think it is a great thing on campus because the dorms on campus are overflowing with so many packages,” Bradshaw said. “These places weren’t equipped to handle this workload, and now people’s packages won’t just sit out on the doorstep for a while. It is safe, secure and super easy.”

The Amazon center also features free returns on Prime-ordered items. According to Bradshaw, students can bring their ordered items to the facility where they print out a return label, put the item in a facility-provided bag and put the bagged item in a bin for return. People who wish to return an item do not need to provide any packaging, Bradshaw said.

The initial location for the center was to be in the Red Gym, but after backlash from organizations in the building, faculty and students in shared governance, Sellery Hall became the pickup point.

According to Sellery resident Izzy Schack, the ability to return an item at the location is convenient. She recently returned an item at the center.

“This facility makes it a lot easier for returns because I don’t have to print a label myself and go to the UPS store,” Schack said. “It is convenient to have it right underneath me.”

The facility is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays and from noon to 9 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.