The two-year research initiative will focus on developing new ways to extract information from data and using these methods to solve complex problems in different fields.

UW-Madison to receive funding for data science initiative

UW-Madison announced Tuesday an initiative to fund two-year grants for data science research at the university.

The initiative — for which the university will receive roughly $1 million — will equip researchers with grants of up to $250,000 after proposals are reviewed and approved by a faculty committee as well as the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education.

The research will focus on developing new ways to extract information from data and using these methods to solve complex problems in different fields, according to Marsha Mailick, the vice chancellor for research and graduate education.

Mailik said the funding that the initiative provides will help to keep UW-Madison and its researchers competitive when it comes to both making progress in a growing field and attracting further funding from outside and federal sources.

“The pace of change in the data science field is extremely rapid, and we think the data science initiative is one very good way to keep UW-Madison research on pace with those changes,” said Steve Ackerman, associate vice chancellor for research in the physical sciences. “We’re looking forward to seeing how this initiative can help UW-Madison leverage its knowledge to create impactful predictions and insights for a wide range of scholarly fields.”

Funding for the UW-Madison Data Science Initiative will be provided by the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation.